JOB ID: BHJOB8536_10137
JOB DESCRIPTION: Medical Malpractice Litigation Paralegal will assist attorneys in all aspects of pre-trial preparation, trial preparation and post-trial work. Reports and is responsible to the Litigation Department Administrator and all attorneys within the department.
- Review and organization of initial file materials, pleadings and records.
- Preparation of motions and orders extending period in which to answer or otherwise respond to complaint and discovery.
- Obtain and index/organize all documents provided by the client relative to the litigation.
- Preparation of initial draft of interrogatories, requests for admissions and requests for production of documents.
- Review of interrogatories and requests for production of document served upon our client; after discussing these with the attorney, the paralegal should forward copies to the client with specific instructions as to how they should be answered.
- Review of client’s draft answers to interrogatories and discussion with attorney concerning same; preparation of any necessary revisions of answers.
- Schedule appointment with expert witnes(es), prepare draft letter to expert. forwarding materials for his/her review.
- Preparation of initial draft notices of depositions, scheduling of reporter and conference room, preparation of subpoena.
- In certain cases, review of deposition transcript and preparation of outline of same.
- Extensive preparation and organization of client’s documents for production.
- Extensive organization of documents produced.
- Scheduling of witness interview, informing witness of trial dates; in certain cases,
- The paralegal may be asked to conduct an initial interview.
- Preparation of motions as requested by assigning attorney, for example, motions to compel, motions to show cause, motion in contempt.
- The litigation paralegal may be requested to do limited legal research, jury verdict research, expert witness research, obtaining case law, shepardizing and cite checking cases from briefs (the litigation paralegal should have a good working knowledge of both Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw).
- Preparation of and marking exhibits for depositions and/or trial.
- Pre-trial check of jury questionnaires and jury list.
- If necessary, work with attorneys on arbitration/trial exhibits and potential testimony using litigation support software.
- In certain cases, the paralegal will be asked to attend arbitration/trial with the attorney.
- In cases which are settled, preparation on an initial draft of release and dismissal entry.
- In cases to be appealed, preparation of Notice of Appeal, praecipe and docketing statements as well as preparation of outline of trial transcript.
- In certain cases, preparation of post-judgment documents, including praecipes for certificates of judgment; non-wage garnishments and wage garnishments.
- The litigation paralegal should follow-up various details in specific cases as requested the assigning attorney.
- Closing files: work on organizing all files, with detailed index for easy retrieval in the future, in necessary.
- Send materials to experts, corresponding with experts regarding case/record review.
- Schedule court reporter and arrange for location for depositions.
- Keep in contact by telephone, e-mail or correspondence with requesting counsel about status of Petition, service of subpoena on witness.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in an ABA approved Paralegal program
- Three to five years’ experience in litigation law practice
- Strong understanding of litigation terms and technological skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, some knowledge of the capabilities of litigation software such as: CaseMap, Summation, Sanctions
- Superior research skills, including the use of online services, databases and the Internet
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Project and case management skills including a strong aptitude for managing and prioritizing multiple projects and deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Competitive compensation
- Casual work environment
- Excellent training
- Excellent benefit package
LOCATION: Charlotte, NC
ABOUT Xcentri Inc.: Xcentri is an award-winning, full-service staffing and recruitment firm specializing in providing temporary and direct hire services for accounting/finance, office and administrative support, call center/customer service, and non-clinical healthcare positions. As a CEO Company, Xcentri was named to the Inc.5000 “Fastest Growing Private Companies” List for 2016 and 2017. The CEO companies Xcentri and CEO Inc. have also been honored with the Charlotte Business Journal’s “50 Fastest Growing Companies” for 2015-2016. For more information visit www.xcentri.com
For further information, please call 704-369-3211. You may also visit us at www.xcentri.com